Monday, February 9, 2009

Spittin It Heart Style

When I asked my house guests this evening what the theme for today should be hip hop/Rap centric. With their help I have put together this list for your listening pleasure...

03' Bonnie & Clyde
- Jay Z & Beyonce
They are now Mr & Mrs but when this duet first dropped it was nothing but a playful flirtation. A hip hop take on the classic bad boy/bad girl attraction and in doing so maintain the thread of romance.

The Way You Move - Outkast
When Speakerbox/The Love Below came out some friends hosted a listening party which ended up being one of the best dance parties that year. This song can work for a fun group groove as well as a little smooth get down. A nod to the sway of the hip or bob of the head that first caught your eye. And that clean bass line just gets me.

Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You- Lauryn Hill
MissEducation was such a remarkable album for me. Stepping away from the truer hip hop stylings of the Fugees Miss Hill introduced a touch of old school soul R&B to her solo work. It was a much needed jolt to my system and this song is so pure and mooshy its a perfect choice for this list.

Heartsprings - Heiruspecs
A fantastic Minneapolis group provides the final song for this list. Its sweet smart and the arrangement propelling it along backs up the lyrical vibe.

No comments: