Sunday, October 11, 2009

Music Makers Thread: The Dodos ... Withered Hand + Thee Oh Sees + Night Control

For the second installment of Music Makers Thread I asked the Dodos which lesser known groups they have been digging on lately. In return they gave me a lengthy list of bands to check out which led me on a fantastic musical scavenger hunt. So many, in fact, that I couldn't pick just one...
Withered Hand immediately hooked my favor. Hailing from Scotland (yeah yeah I know another Scot) Withered Hand is the name Dan Willson tosses on the assorted and ever changing gang of musicians who join him on stage. His lyrical ability falls in that delicious intersection of witty turn of phrase & incredibly relate-able. Give any track on his debut album Good News (which you should buy immediately) a spin and I think you'll fully agree. And as fate would have it Dan was able to point me towards Charles Latham, a Philly singer who I will definitely be returning to in a future post.
No Cigarettes

Thee Oh Sees were another act on The Dodo's list. This psych pop groups possesses a crisply hollow sound that, when paired with the a hint of southern twang on songs like I Was Denied show the potential for slightly modified rockabilly to find its place amongst current indie rock. They are on the road now so check out their tour stops and try to partake upon their live show.
Meat Step Lively


Next up on the Dodo's suggestion thread is Night Control. Self described as "serene noise pop" I'd say Christopher Curtis Smith's music is a hai more intentional than that implies. It is carefully crafted ambient electro music that hasn't abandoned the romance of a classic pop tune. Another fine find courtesy of The Dodos who, I must remind you are playing tomorrow Monday the 12th at First Unitarian Church.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dan is actually from just outside London, but lives here. And what's the big deal with all the Scots?