Thursday, November 13, 2008

Aaaah ngst

There is this great scene in the movie Broadcast News when Holly Hunter (who plays a strong woman in the male dominated world of eighties well broadcast news) goes into her office, shuts the door and starts crying. When her boss walks in mid-sob session she collects herself and explains that she allows herself one cry a day to keep her sanity. I have ascribed to a similar ethic myself. On particularly rough days I allow myself a little break with some terribly sad songs to recognize the bluishness and indulge the inner angst but then move on. I find it keeps things in perspective while still allowing a lil bit o' outlet. As a nod to the great Broadcast News the songs assembled below are in the vein of the imperfect version of love and relationships it captured as well as standard go-to's for those pity breaks.

"I would give anything if you were two people, so that I could call up the one who's my friend and tell her about the one that I like so much"- Albert Brooks "Bubba" Broadcast News


The Everybodyfields Lonely Anywhere
Bon Iver & Sarah Siskind Lovin's For Fools
Jeremy Messersmith Beautiful Children
Slow Runner I'm Gonna Hate You When You Go
Wakey!Wakey! New Partner (Bonnie "Prince" Billy cover)
The Piano Creeps Hey Love

The Everybodyfields
Bon Iver
Jeremy Messersmith
Slow Runner
Wakey!Wakey!
The Piano Creeps

No comments: