Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Remix Rehash: Skinny Friedman + CJ Milli +Wallpaper+ Architecture In Helsinki

It has been a chaotic few days around these parts. I have moved my sister into her 6th floor NY walk up, moved myself into my new 5th floor Philly walk up, hit two major deadlines at work, had a pretty unexpected element of a project I'm working on fall apart at the v. last minute and finally I have been knocked into a wonderful new world of bloggerness with all the #replyall
shenanigans. Finally, things are unpacked (mostly), project is on the mend, and new forums and groups are being formed and my mind is coming together. But, I hope you can understand that this week my remix preferences leaned towards more chill tracks. And these were the best of what I discovered...

Skinny Friedman one half of Philadelphyinz sent me this retake on Bon Iver's Blood Bank. Its bass heavy and even more spare and hollow than the original. Scaling back when it comes to remixing takes real skill and Skinny Friedman de-liv-ers.
Blood Bank (Bon Iver)- Skinny Friedman DJ Edit

The Very Best is an international outfit (hailing from London and Malawi) that combines the "catchy" of quality afro pop with the smarts of indie music. Their newest single features Ezra Koenig (he of Vampire Weekend fame) and this remix by Architecture in Helsinki tosses in a marching band feel that just tickled me.
Warm Heart Of Africa - Architecture In Helsinki Remix

Mason Proper is playing the remix game by releasing a whole EP of remixes of their stuff. This one by Wallpaper has a mid-90's tasty candy shell. It made me want to do the Carlton dance and toss in a bit-o-disco to fully appreciate everything this has to offer.

Safe For The Time Being (Mason Proper) - Wallpaper Remix

CJ Milli came back at me after my last post of her skills with this CeCe Peniston vs FACT (Mstrkrft remix) and it so screams of summer that I used what little energy this stupid hot weather hadn't sucked from my body.

Finally, Los Angeles - CJ Milli Remix

And now that I've set you up with some delectable soundtrack fodder for your evening I'm going to enjoy the deck of my new place...

No comments: