Tuesday, August 25, 2009

New To Know: Fitz & The Tantrums + The Drums + We Were Promised Jet Packs

I'm feeling a little retro with this week's NTK picks.
Fitz & The Tantrums - Breakin The Chains Of Love


I have been hoping someone would champion the return of good Motown soul sound so when this gem was delivered to my in box I'll admit I was as giddy as a school girl. There is a lot to enjoy in Fitz's sound. There are danceable melodies and easy lyrics to sing along to and it all leaves you feeling that much happier. Fitz's vocals are smooth and truly reflect the feeling of the era he is trying to replicate. I cannot wait to see this act live and hear what else they have to offer.

The Drums - Let's Go Surfing



This video when I first saw it struck me as a nice trip back to the halcyon days of The Beach Boys and beach blanket boogies. Now, I'm not saying The Drums are of Beach Boys quality but there is certainly promise there and they can really create a wholly enjoyable and smart aural experience. As a project by a couple of best friends it is pretty easy to understand where they draw the "fun" that is undeniable in their music. They will be releasing their Summertime EP on September 15th with a full album dropping sometime early next year.

We Were Promised Jetpacks - Ships With Holes Will SinkThese boys don't really fall in my retro theme but anyone who has been reading TWIAPC for a while knows I have a total weakness for Scottish bands. I had heard WWPJ a little last year but it wasn't until I gave a good bit of ear time to These Four Walls, their most recent album, that I realized they wickedly talented. Much like Frightened Rabbit they are capable of building a song from an initial balladish melody into jangly epic pulse racer. Their drummer provides a strong slightly frenetic beat to which loud but tight guitar riffs are added and subtracted to fit the phrase of the song. They are addictive and I'm really looking forward to seeing them in October when they pass through town. Download These Four Walls and listen to the full thing. Its all good. **photo courtesy of Neil Thomas Douglas

No comments: