Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Be the CHANGE

I managed to catch the tail end of the Obama-mercial last night and I have to say it got me thinking. I have been hesitant to throw myself into this election because I was so involved in politics in college and so crushed when Bush won (plus I have a million and one things going on in life) so I have let what little my little donations be my voice. Perhaps the sense of urgency that compelled me to act in college was placated by the overwhelming number of people of all walks of life, social status, profession, education and culture who have volunteered, registered, demonstrated and ACTED to make the change they want to see. Witnessing and participating in this wave of revolution has energized me and fanned the wee flame of hope that had dimmed to pilot light status during the last seven wretched years.

While that flame is currently burning bright there is still a tinge of worry about Tuesday and I couldn't really put my finger on the exact reason until last night when I heard Obama speak. He is an incredible person and there exists true potential in the vision and hope he has for the future of this country however he was absolutely right in turning the focus back to the people, US.

Voting is just the first step in creating change. Even when Obama is elected you must not forget that change is constant and to keep this revolution moving your actions, efforts and voice will still matter more than ever AFTER you drop your ballot in the box. Barack Obama the man represents a new horizon however the journey to that end is one we each must take responsibility for. So, before I get too preachy here I will leave you with the words of the man I am one hundred percent certain would have been the VP nominee had he not passed far before his time:

Politics is not predictions and politics is not observations. Politics is what we do. Politics is what we do, politics is what we create, by what we work for, by what we hope for and what we dare to imagine- Paul Wellstone

Will.i.am Yes We Can

VOTE

Ben Sollee A Change Is Gonna Come



No comments: