Monday, April 6, 2009

Game On!

Baseball, after music, is a full on obsession with my family. One of my earliest memories was chasing Gary Gaetty down at the local mall (my mother pushing my little sister in her stroller) to get his autograph. He was the nicest guy, not only did he give us the autograph but also helped us choose a cologne for my dad for Father's Day.

As I grew up I fostered true adoration for some of the greats that passed through the Twin's dugout. Dave Winfield personified power and class and Paul Molitor was a regular topic at the dinner table. And Kirby oh man did I love that guy. I was broken hearted when he was forced into retirement after catching a ball to the side of the face. At the initial and, in my mind, ONLY goodbye event I cried harder than I ever have in public --to the open mockery of some punk kids behind us. When I found out he had died I literally fell off the tredmill. It was a sad day for the whole family.

Anyways, it was only natural for music to be tied into the baseball facsination. Starting with my youthful desire to be the organ player at a major league stadium it led to noting the songs the players choose to have play when they go up to bat. I have come to the conclusion that it is a huge reflection of the players personality. Johann Santana choose Santana's Smooth a nice rock song with a little Latin tinge and the shared name a wink at his sense of humor. Joe Mauer, hometown boy, hired a local musician to write his. I could go on.

I find it very telling what song a person would choose if they were a pro player. So, in honor of this years opening day I posed the question to a variety of people and got a variety of tunes in response. Here are some of the intriguing the results:

John Mellencamp - The Authority Song (my mother)
Survivor - Eye Of The Tiger
Georgian Chant - Cherubic Hymn
Death From Above 1979- You're A Woman, I'm A Machine
Queen - Don't Stop Me Now
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Y Control
Rob Base & DJ E-Z Rock - It Takes Two

What would your song be? Leave it in comments...

No comments: