Sunday, February 8, 2009

Oh Why Not

I am not really into proscribed commercial holidays. I am a much bigger fan of spontaneity and would rather people take it upon themselves to randomly celebrate their love, appreciation, thanks, heritage etc whenever the spirit moved them regardless of whether there are a gagillion cards, candies or decorations readily available to support the effort. It would be a pretty fantastic world if people embraced the unexpected and put a little energy into paying it forward. That said, this year I am going to put that aside because I know too many people who could use a little valentines day pick me up. This week I'm going to post a few songs every day that are somehow valentines related.

As you listen to these please think about the people/person who may need a little nudge of sweetness whether it be Saturday or or three week from now.

To kick it off I'm going to some of the classics:

Wonderful Tonight - Eric Clapton
I can only hope that everyone get to indulge in a little cliche at least once in their life and dance with that special someone to this song. Say what you will but this song has the power to freeze the moment.

For Once In My Life - Stevie Wonder
Stevie Wonder is responsible for providing pop with a little touch of soul/R&B and no where else is that combination of happy in love and catchy hook better heard than on this track. And the presence of harmonica makes it that much better.

I Wanna Hold Your Hand- The Beatles
The original pop song. They kept it simple and pay tribute to that most basic of gestures, holding hands.

No comments: